Wednesday, October 15, 2014

The Working Poor part 2

The more I read from Shipler's book, the more grateful I am for what I have in my life.  He wrote about a woman named Caroline that worked at Wal-Mart.  I definitely felt for Caroline because she worked hard to get to where she is now.  She earned her associate's degree and got her own house after being homeless with her daughter.  She was discriminated against at her work for the simple fact that she was older and she has no teeth.  A man was hired after her and was immediately paid more than her.  It's not fair that she is being treated any different for her appearance.  I am very lucky to have a job in a restaurant that pays me fairly.  I also feel lucky for my teeth.

In another chapter, I learned about a sewing factory that a man named Juan works at.  They are very sneaky in the way that they pay their employees.  Instead of paying minimum wage, the employer pays based on how much work was done.  Most of the employees only end up making $3 an hour.  If the minimum wage is raised, the required speed of production is also raised so that they don't have to give out any more money than they were before.

No comments:

Post a Comment